Monday 6 April 2020

Did you remember? - a reflection for Holy Week

How they looked at me, my children.
Shared moments of love and trust,
eyes meeting, bonds forming,
bonds that held strong
binding me to them for ever,
binding my eyes, my heart, my tears, my smiles.
I feel their arms around my neck,
smell the baby skin,
small fingers pulling gently at my hair.
I remember.

Did you remember precious moments too,
returning to you, sharp and sweet
as you watched him ride into Jerusalem?
Did you feel his arms around your neck
and long to hold him safe?
Did your eyes meet his
binding you in sorrow, fear and aching love,
Bitter sweet,
stirring longing
to ease his journey,
to make all well?

Written in St Mary's Church, Lindisfarne on Palm Sunday 2015, following morning worship and inspired by the icon of the Madonna and Child in that place (pictured above).


Ruth M Gee

No comments:

Post a Comment